Monday 1 December 2014

Background research on Optimisation for Game Engines

Week 3:


As the goal for my Final Project is to produce several high-quality assets that would be ideal for a game engine, I thought it would be useful to look into optimisation for game engines such as Unity, as well as setting my work within the expected range in terms of Polygon count for each individual model.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/09/02/art-assets-best-practice-guide/

The website above has many details and good points for what is ideal for modelling assets in Maya and other 3D software. 

Some other factors which I'll have to take into account which I came across on this website is:
-Scale : Maya and other 3D modelling software have default system unit measurements, Maya's being in centimetres.

In determining the polygon limit for my assets, I decided giving myself a mock brief would help it deciding the most appropriate range for my models.
Considering that character models, for example, can range anywhere from 7K for NPC's and background characters, and then increasing to upwards of 25K for the main characters.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/yes-but-how-many-polygons-an-artist-blog-entry-with-interesting-numbers.39321/

The first post on this website includes various games with a list of different character models within that game, including the Poly count for each. 

While I won't be modelling characters for my projects, these numbers are still very useful for me in setting myself a guideline.

So the Target Game Type will be: 3rd Person, Action-Adventure 
                      Some Examples: Assassin's Creed, Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted
In following this, I will set my polygon limit from 1K- 5K, producing both a low-poly model and a high-poly model for all objects.

No comments:

Post a Comment