Thursday 30 April 2015

Background Research



British Museum:


In the aim to support this project, I took a trip to the British Museum.
The intent behind this to get an up-close look at some of the weapons that area actually featured in this project to model.

I took many photographs of objects and images I thought to be useful.
Here are the photos from my trip below:




While not listed as an actual Samurai weapon used during the Edo period of Japan, I liked the general shape and construct of this object. 

The most iconic of all the Japanese weapons, the katana. There were multiple blades held in display cases in the exhibit. I managed to get a closer look at not only things lie the curvature of the blade, but also the markings on it: there being a distinct colouring along the groove of the blade where it changes from a dark gray to a lighter gray. 



This here is a tanto: a small blade/dagger. Another of the weapons I put on my list initially, I have not currently started a model for this one. What I thought was really interesting was the design and markings that were on the scabbard (Case for the dagger) and some interesting things can be done when it comes to the texturing portion; could utilise bump maps quite effectively here. 






Full Samurai armour: A lot of great detail is put into these armor pieces, and the kabuto (the helmet part) was also another object originally on my list. 





No comments:

Post a Comment